Thursday, August 18, 2011

Answered: Box Braids Questions



This was taken two months after

What kind of hair should I use for box braids?
You can use 100% kanekalon jumbo synthetic hair

Are the waist length box braids heavy?
Yes they can be very heavy, especially if lots of hair is used. If they are done small try to use less hair but done in a way that still compliments you.

How do you deep condition?
I deep condition by applying my home made deep treatment to my hair for a few hours and simply rinsing the braids, wash and air dry. I use very little shampoo, constantly spritz them with water, used a leave in treatment a few times a week. I do not use product in my hair every single day! (Personal preference) I rather use water or light oil like coconut oil. I also used apple cider vinegar to remove any build up.

How long can they stay in?
I kept mine in for three months, if they are done really neat they can actually last this long. I had every little build up to my surprise.

How long do they take?
Mines took about 8 hours to complete and were waist length. I did them while watching TV, walking around but they general take anywhere between 8-10 hours if done the way I did them. If you have someone who can braids fast it may take a short amount of time.

Do they damage your hair?
My hair actually grew in, including my edges which have grown in the most in my life. I remember I use to say don’t have baby hairs; well let's just say yes I do. My hair grew about an inch and a half to my surprise. The expected rate it should grow. My braids weren’t tight but tight and neat enough to last three months.

Are they considered a protective styling hair method?
I believe they are your ends are protected for a long period of time. You have to be every gentle with your hair. Do not manipulate them too much, or pull on them. I wore mine down and out. Simply because it was really heavy in a bun, or high pony!

How did you sleep with them?
I put them into a bun, used two silk scarves to tie it up one facing the front and the other at the back to hold it in place!

Were you able to work out with them waist length?
Yes I was I simply tied them the way I tied them going to sleep up in a high pony with to scarves one facing the front and the other facing the back.

How should I take care of them?
Since my routine maybe different, I will give you a general overview
*oil them daily
*Tie them each night with a scalp
*To prevent build up clarify your scalp and deep condition every two weeks
*Do not keep them longer than 3-4 months

How do I prepare for installment of box braids?
Deep condition your hair before you get them install, I did a protein treatments before mine and oiled my scalp.

How do I prevent the ends from unravelling?
To prevent unravelling, boil water and dip them in it. To create curled ends you braid the ends and dip them, use curling rods, or twist them. You can also glue them or flat iron them. (I prefer boil water)

Twist or Senegalese twist?
Personal I love them both. I believe they are so beautiful when done right and neat. The same routine follows for the twist.

How much do they cost?
I do mine myself so am really unsure I believe between 80 - 200$ depending on location, you would really have to call and find out. If you are my area I can always do them ilovedejavu@gmail.com

Tips                     
*When you remove the braids, take your time to detangle your hair, use a natural oil to help with the process
*Be gentle, patient and kind with your hair
*Use a leave in or daily oil to moisturize your scalp
* Do not neglect your hair because it is in braids
*If you edges are weak you may not want to braid them to tight.
* Do not do them to tight or play with them to much!
* Remove build to prevent damage and prevention of your growth cycle

If you have any questions, tips or anything I missed feel free to add them or add your questions?
As always thank you for stopping by

xoxo MS H
Follow me on twitter, Facebook, YouTube and on here!

Stay tuned for my video posted later today on my box brads routine!!

19 comments:

  1. Is there a specific brand of hair I should use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can use 100% kanekalon jumbo synthetic hair

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many packs of hair did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used about 8 packs including one pack of that was like a blonde colour. It used very little of the blonde in my hair but it came out very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What length of hair should I use if I want waist length braids and did you get your hair from a beauty supply store or did you have to order it online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I got my hair from a beauty supply store if your using kankelon you might have to attach more hair it to make it long enough if you know how to do that or the person doing it for you. Unless, you can find hait that length it depends on what type of hair yo
      u use I have seen to many that are really long.

      Delete
  6. How much does a normal synthetic hair pack cost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, synthetic hair normal starts at 5$ but can go much more expensive depending on the type of hair you are looking for. It can sometimes be cheaper than that as well

      Delete
  7. Synthetic hair can be as cheap as $5/bag, or as high as $30/bag. I'm sure prices vary more than that, this is just from what I usually see at the beauty supply stores.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are your thoughts on the Remy 45" braiding hair (i think it's kankelon hair) hair would that be too soft for some one with thick natural hair. I found a lot of diffrent kankelon hair that starts at 1.99 (jumbo pack) made by popular brand hair companies. the remy braiding hair looks like a better quality and at 5.99 a 45" pack you cant beat that. Would I have to blow my hair out just slightly to get braids installed. (My hair tends to coil/curl up after washing it)I havent had braids in a long time and I havent had braids since becoming natural. I love the advice you have given.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I have never used it for more than just a ponytail I did about two weeks ago where I braided the hair in one. The quality is definitely better than the 99/1.99$ jumbo pack. However, you certainly do not need to spend more than you need to when doing box braids. I ended up using the 5.99$ pack because I wanted the ponytail to be extremely long and that hair was definitely long enough. You do not need to blow out your hair, it is a plus to make sure your hair is detangled very well and deep condition so it is soft and easy to manipulate. It is really a choice on whether you blow dry it, you can definitely achieve a neat look with either way if you have a great hairdresser or someone you knows how to smooth your hair as they braid. Before I did my braids I had not have braids since I was in highschool, these lasted me three months and was extremely neat and I did then myself without blow drying my hair. I simply used light oils to oil my scalp, did not use heavy products and use water to moisturise. I was very gentle with my deep conditioning and washing. I took my time with styling the hair. Just have fun am sure you will enjoy it. xoxo I hope this was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is a perfect cute size for Box Braids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is truly personal perference. I have seen the size I had in the pictures above which is small and does take longer to do. I have also seen even smaller sizes with less hair used on each ones. I have seen the really big ones, I actually love those for an easy quick go to protective style. It might not last as long as the smaller ones do but they will do you good for a few weeks. It really depends on what you want for your self.

      Delete
  11. I have permed short hair but want to try something new. Should I perm my hair before getting the braids or leave it as it is and just deep condition and lightly oil my hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thank you for the question this is a great question...Here is the good and bad on both methods. If you decided to perm your hair before getting braids you will need to wait a certain amount of time before putting nay stress on your hair. After a perm the hair is more porous which means it can become more dry and brittle. Definitely condition your hair often to keep it moisturised you can do this with your braids but you have to be very gentle. Since you are going to braid your hair the second note to mention is that you do not really need to perm your hair. Box braids or braids of any type act as a protective styling for your hair. What you can do is get a great deep conditioning or even a protein treatment to strength the hair while it is in braids. Note: Protein treatments do not agree with everyone's hair. By doing this you can go ahead and braid your hair and not have to worry, make sure to moisturise your scalp with a light oil like coconut oil, or jojoba oil. Try to avoid build up by using acv (apple cider vinegar or a light shampoo mixed with water so it doesn't strip away to much moisturise from your hair. I really hope this helps and of course the tips I have shared above are more than helpful with gentle to those edges. Thanks for stopping by xoxo

      Delete
  12. Are bra strapped lengthed box braids too short for styles?

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes it bra strap is a good length to do styles it really depends what looks you are going for but definitely they should be long enough to still play around with and try different styles! Thanks for stopping by and come back xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello :) i really want to do box braids but i don't want them to be too long cause im scared they'll be too heavy. I do want them to reach the middle of my back. But the packs of hair that i buy are super long. Should i cut them in half before i use them or cut the braids after im done? Any suggestions? :) xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hi, Well this is really a personally preference question and I'm sure you want me to choose either or but you can achieve the look with both. I would suggest if you want and even look you can cut them after, if you want you ends to look like you did nothing to them you could also try stretching the actually extension, of course you would have to cut them before to get the ends to look like it was natural not burnt or put in hot water.

      Hope this helps if your new to extension I would say place the ends in hot water and cut them after. Make sure not to burn yourself :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by....