Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Art through Inspiration: Books


I remember going through highschool and college reading all these books. Well a few came out after that, but I love them equally. The first time I read sister souljah "I lost my mind" I love it. I think because it was the first time I was really introduced to black writers, I could fall in love with. Yep, I was a nerd reading everything else, but, this was juicy. To my surprise who knew that reading 'No Disrespect' by "SISTER SOULJAH" would change my life. It changed my life it made me so aware of the men around me, myself and the things they did, what I did, my conscious mind and I think at that moment I began to change.

I can sit here and say that I have not made the best choices when it comes to men, lord knows I have not. I have however learned from my experiences. I went through a 'I dont care stage', where you just dont like the guy, dont care to talk to him, but still yet you are. Now, that I look back these were men I would had never talk to, if I was in my right mind. I say my right mind because I was so hurt coming out of a long relationship that broke me down. It took me years to pull myself together, three years to be exact. SUCKS!!!

Am glad I realize what I went through and how something like that can really alter your life, your opinions, and you as a person. I am glad I can look back and smile at them, they were my choices so I will own them.
However, I will say you let people treat you how they want,  if you dont say enough is enough. So am glad I  walked away, stop talking to most and am glad it made me stronger, happier and in many ways appreciate life alot more.

ON TO THE NEXT.....

After that life epiphany I was so disappointed when I read her latest book 'Midnight' I was so disappointed. I brought the book months ago and I read a few pages and put it down. It took me almost 6 months to try to read it and when I did am ashamed to say, well, NO AM NOT! I skipped to the back of the book and finish reading it. I remember the louder "that's it, argh thank God I didnt read this", now this is my personal opinion. I am sure there are lots of people that love it. However my 16 year old cousin ran down the stairs saying "really, really, that's it! am disappointed", and with a long pause I could not stop laughing.

I realize it was not so much the book it was the content in which it was written. I am tired of the stereotypical topics being written over and over by black authors. I am on the hunt for new authors that excite me, and books I enjoy. I do read other material but the reason am talking about black authors because I can find books written by other races of authors on so many topics but when it comes to black authors, black movies it's the same thing over and over. It'S like watching a Tyler Perry movie, dont get me wrong I am so proud of his accomplishments, I like him. I am just annoyed by what is being shoved into my face, we dont have much options, unless you go unknown which sometimes is a great idea.

For now, I sit staring at my book shelf reading the titles, browsing the web for great blogs and articles, and reading my own material which seems to excite me. Until I find the next best thing, I guess I try my best to support our business FOR US, BY US.  I EXPECT greatness.

I hope you all are having a wonderful week, I am working on a great video, am enjoying making videos, there fun. Like I promised they could only get better as I learn more and more. If you have questions, style ideas, email me ilovdejavu@gmail.com I always respond, or you never know post a video!!! Until Next time beautifuls...



xoxo
http://www.dejavunaturals.com/
http://www.freemaverick.blogspot.com/
http://www.goddesses.bigcartel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by....